What exactly is needed to get Vocaluxe code to build?

Da Vocaluxe noch mitten in der Entwicklung steckt, hier alle aktuellen Testversionen, Bug-Meldungen, usw...

Moderatoren: brunzel, flokuep, US-Team

What exactly is needed to get Vocaluxe code to build?

Beitragvon Scudder » 28.06.2017, 22:48

It seems like this project is very difficult to setup and build on a new PC. There is a lot of guesswork or trial and error to get it to build, and then it often only works on certain computers and not others.

It looks like someone created a VocaluxeProblemSolver separate Github project that was meant to help install or configure additional things needed to get the solution to build. However, I suspect this is out of date with the latest builds.

Does anyone have a walk through of exactly what to do to get Vocaluxe to build on a brand new Windows 10 PC? Ideally, I would like to build the main release version (0.2x) but would settle for the last commit on 12/26/2016, or as a last resort just the latest nightly build.

Specifically what version of Visual Studio is needed? What happens if you use a newer version? What other things must be done besides cloning the Github project and rebuilding/building it?
Scudder
Beginner

Re: What exactly is needed to get Vocaluxe code to build?

Beitragvon flokuep » 01.07.2017, 16:44

It should work with a current visual studio version. I'm currently using VS 2015. We're using NuGet to resolve all dependencies, so cloning and building it should work...
flokuep
SuperStar

Beitragvon Skywalker » 01.07.2017, 20:42

Scudder hat geschrieben:It seems like this project is very difficult to setup and build on a new PC. There is a lot of guesswork or trial and error to get it to build, and then it often only works on certain computers and not others.

It should be very easy:
Just clone the repo, open the solution and select "Build solution".
All required dependencies for building Vocaluxe will be downloaded and configured automatically with nuget (you need internet connection of cause).
If you use some code analyses tools like Reshaper, you may see a lot of errors, because they sometimes have problems to detect the injected dependencies.
But even with those analyses errors a build should be successful. To "fix" those analyses errors just close and reopen the solution.

Scudder hat geschrieben:It looks like someone created a VocaluxeProblemSolver separate Github project that was meant to help install or configure additional things needed to get the solution to build. However, I suspect this is out of date with the latest builds.
That was me :wink: But it is not a tool for the build process - it should help users to satisfy runtime dependencies and assists with the microphone config.
There is an updated version: https://github.com/lukeIam/VocaluxeProblemSolver/tree/withoutGstreamer/Release
The only thing changed is that Gstreamer is now shipped with Vocaluxe so it is not longer installed by VocaluxeProblemSolver.

Scudder hat geschrieben:Does anyone have a walk through of exactly what to do to get Vocaluxe to build on a brand new Windows 10 PC? Ideally, I would like to build the main release version (0.2x) but would settle for the last commit on 12/26/2016, or as a last resort just the latest nightly build.
Specifically what version of Visual Studio is needed? What happens if you use a newer version?
Don't use 0.2x - it's quite old and do not have the nuget dependencies -> just use the develop branch (we need to do a new release but couldn't find the time for it)
I'm using VS2015 but I just compiled successfully with VS2017.

Scudder hat geschrieben:What other things must be done besides cloning the Github project and rebuilding/building it?
git must be in path for building (for version name generation).
Bild
Skywalker
Star

Beitragvon Scudder » 05.07.2017, 19:08

OK, I started over. Using Visual Studio 2017 Community edition. But it is not as simple as you make it sound. I tried putting git.exe in the path (based on a couple places I found it installed in Visual Studio). No luck.

So I had to manually download and install git (https://git-scm.com/download/win). No need to add to path in after that and installing this took away most of the remaining build errors. However, I'm still left with this one:

Error MSB8020 The build tools for Visual Studio 2010 (Platform Toolset = 'v100') cannot be found. To build using the v100 build tools, please install Visual Studio 2010 build tools. Alternatively, you may upgrade to the current Visual Studio tools by selecting the Project menu or right-click the solution, and then selecting "Retarget solution". PitchTracker C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Microsoft.Cpp.Platform.targets 55

I can attempt to find and install these tools, but shouldn't the project get updated so it is not dependent upon tools from 7+ years ago? Also, would be nice if the Vocaluxe site and github was updated with clearer instructions on how to do all this so others can build successfully.
Scudder
Beginner

Beitragvon Scudder » 05.07.2017, 19:19

Success... after re-targeting the solution (twice) for PitchTracker (and following all the steps above) it worked. So essentially the process is...

Install Visual Studio 2017 Community
Install Github
Clone Vocaluxe project form Github
Build
Retarget solution (as prompted by error after build)
Scudder
Beginner

Beitragvon Skywalker » 05.07.2017, 19:36

Scudder hat geschrieben:OK, I started over. Using Visual Studio 2017 Community edition. But it is not as simple as you make it sound. I tried putting git.exe in the path (based on a couple places I found it installed in Visual Studio). No luck.

So I had to manually download and install git (https://git-scm.com/download/win). No need to add to path in after that and installing this took away most of the remaining build errors.
we just need a git.exe in a standard console to do a "git version --long" - git can come from git-scm or installed with Visual Studio (I think it's optional there)

Scudder hat geschrieben:Error MSB8020 The build tools for Visual Studio 2010 (Platform Toolset = 'v100') cannot be found. To build using the v100 build tools, please install Visual Studio 2010 build tools. Alternatively, you may upgrade to the current Visual Studio tools by selecting the Project menu or right-click the solution, and then selecting "Retarget solution". PitchTracker C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Microsoft.Cpp.Platform.targets 55
I can attempt to find and install these tools, but shouldn't the project get updated so it is not dependent upon tools from 7+ years ago? Also, would be nice if the Vocaluxe site and github was updated with clearer instructions on how to do all this so others can build successfully.
we keep the old version to support a wide range of Visual Studio version: from lower to higher version the user will be asked for an upgrade - but not vice versa. Maybe we can build in an automatic selection here...
Bild
Skywalker
Star

Beitragvon Skywalker » 05.07.2017, 19:39

Scudder hat geschrieben:Success... after re-targeting the solution (twice) for PitchTracker (and following all the steps above) it worked. So essentially the process is...

Install Visual Studio 2017 Community
Install Github
Clone Vocaluxe project form Github
Build
Retarget solution (as prompted by error after build)

Just git instead of github does also work :wink:
Bild
Skywalker
Star

Zurück zu Vocaluxe - Entwicklung